Meghan McCain, daughter of the late statesman and presidential candidate John McCain and co-host of ABC’s The View, has taken an increasingly prominent role during the recent national conversation over the troubling rise of antisemitism in American politics. Here’s what you need to know about one of the leading voices in this important debate:
- Meghan McCain Is Not Jewish — The child of John McCain and his second wife, the former Cindy Hensley, Meghan McCain is not a member of the Jewish faith.
- At No Point Did Meghan McCain Convert To Judaism — Meghan McCain married the writer Ben Domenech, the founder and publisher of the mysteriously funded conservative website The Federalist, in November of 2017. At no point before or after that did either of them convert to Judaism.
- She’s Christian — Born and raised!
- Her Father Was Friends With Former Connecticut Senator Joe Lieberman — McCain, a longtime United States Senator from Arizona, served alongside Lieberman, an observant orthodox Jewish person, in the United States Senate for many years. McCain and his family were also friendly with Lieberman’s wife, Hadassah, who is also Jewish. McCain mentioned this earlier this week during an emotional moment on The View.
- She Enjoys Pastrami Sandwiches [Note: Please Check This] — A staple of Jewish deli fare, pastrami is beef brisket that has been brined, seasoned with a mix of spices and seasonings that traditionally goes heavy on the black pepper, and which is then smoked and steamed. It’s traditionally served in a sandwich, on rye bread—and always with plenty of spicy mustard!
At the risk of editorializing, here’s a final thought: Antisemites might do well to consider how upset their hatred of Jewish people has made Meghan McCain and take a long look in the mirror.