Staff Writer, Gizmodo (Science)
New York, NY
G/O Media is the publisher of the web’s most original media brands, including Gizmodo, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Deadspin, Jezebel, Jalopnik, The Root, The Onion and The A.V. Club, and reaches over 100 million unique visitors a month—more than one-third of all Americans. We connect with the young, diverse audiences that are shaping our future. Through fearless journalism, provoking comedy, and high-impact storytelling, we elevate the stories and issues our readers and viewers are passionate about.
About the Role:
Gizmodo, our tech and science site, is looking for a Science Reporter. We're looking for a sharp, hungry reporter located in the New York City area to join Gizmodo’s science news team. The ideal candidate will have excellent instincts for a great story, proven reporting experience, and the ability to consistently produce high-quality daily news reports as well as longer-term features. Equally important is a genuine interest in technology and its ramifications, and the insight and fearlessness needed to expertly cover this essential beat.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide daily coverage of science news
- Be able to explain complex scientific concepts to a general audience
- Work with editors to develop the contours of your beats
- Effectively cultivate valuable sources within your beats
- Consistently craft medium- and long-form investigative and analysis pieces
- Establish yourself as a must-read reporter in your beats
- Experience writing for a major digital or print outlet with strong tech or science coverage
- A demonstrated ability to break news
- Be comfortable writing analysis, breaking news, and investigative features
- A fast and authoritative writer and a whiz at cultivating and working sources