Staff Writer, Earther
New York, NY
G/O Media is the publisher of the web’s most original media brands, including Gizmodo, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Deadspin, Jezebel, Jalopnik, The Root, The Onion and The A.V. Club, and reaches over 100 million unique visitors a month—more than one-third of all Americans. We connect with the young, diverse audiences that are shaping our future. Through fearless journalism, provoking comedy, and high-impact storytelling, we elevate the stories and issues our readers and viewers are passionate about.
About the Role:
Earther, our environmental news website nested within Gizmodo, is seeking a versatile, experienced Staff Writer/Reporter. We’re looking for someone with a critical eye and the ability to ask (and answer) big questions about the climate crisis. The ideal candidate should plan to carve out their own beat but also be willing and able to cover the climate themes in the latest HBO show on Monday, a Category 5 storm that hits Tuesday, and the new Democratic climate plan that drops on Wednesday. And they should constantly be thinking about the future, particularly the next decade and the promise and peril it holds for humanity.
More than anything, Earther values putting people at the center of its climate reporting. That can be politicians, Indigenous groups, or Black Lives Matter protesters. At the end of the day, the climate crisis is a story about us. If you want to chronicle that story and shape the future, this might be the job for you.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- At least 3-5 years newsroom experience at a major digital or print outlet
- Demonstrated ability to cover a wide array of climate topics. Experience covering the weather, environmental justice, and/or cutting edge science strongly preferred
- A go-to network of experts and sources for quick, authoritative comment
- Comfort writing analysis, breaking news, and investigative features
- A willingness to work with a small, collaborative team