Alternate headlines for this post include: Don’t Make Movies About DJs, Just Don’t; See Dozens Of White Boys Jump Into A Pool; and What Steve Aoki Hath Wrought. Inspired by Diplo’s Instagram account and written by a fifth-year named Tad with a closet full of neon tanks, here is a trailer for a movie called We Are Your Friends, about a post-grad’s quest to become a DJ.
What a tale of our times. (Help!) There is a lot to unpack here, so I’m just going to lay it out in bullet-point form:
- Zac Efron plays a shit DJ.
- Zac Efron is such a shit DJ that he begins flipping houses (?) for money.
- Zac Efron finds the perfect beat.
- Zac Efron goes to Vegas.
- Zac Efron goes to Coachella.
- Zac Efron has life experiences and does manual labor, which inspires great DJing.
- Zac Efron becomes a great DJ.
- Zac Efron gets all the ladies.
- Zac Efron dies.
Hmm. Just kidding about the death part, but everyone dies eventually. This trailer is three minutes long, and the movie was directed by one of the Catfish guys. Not the one who got Catfished, but the other one. It’s a safe bet that there are cameos from people like Skrillex, and that the climax takes place at a music festival. Also, tank tops as far as the eye can see! This is the movie of the summer.